Friday 12 October 2012

#prancingthroughlife

I haven't blogged for two months and I feel bad.

I feel bad because firstly I possess a lonely, neglected blog, which is slowly fading into cyberspace like Jack fades into the water at the end of Titanic (actually he does that pretty quickly but never mind) and I feel bad because, having blogged for the past year and a half, I am now having blog-related withdrawal symptoms. In the eighteen odd months since I started blogging, blogging has become somewhat psychologically programmed into my psyche and now, without it, I am lost. I am Jack fading into the water in Titanic. Ahhhhh!


*cue Celine Dion*



A year and a half ago, when I started the blog Fashion, Life & All That Is In Between I thought that blogging would propel me into cyber stardom. I thought that within a few months I would be the next big thing in blogging - a male Tavi Gevinson, a British Bryan Boy. Fashion blogging would propel me into the limelight and I would milk the rewards. Jazz hands, tap dance, the whole shebang.

A year and a half down the line though and that hasn't exactly happened. My blog has received relative success, whoop, but it's not as if I am now fashion's new 'bright young thing'...or anyone's for that matter. I am still a teenage boy. I am still a teenage boy with hopes and dreams that are yet to be fulfilled. 
However, this is not necessarily a bad thing. In the intervening time since starting Fashion, Life & All That Is In Between, whilst I have not become an internet sensation over night, Vogue columnist, Britain's Next Top Model, or all of the above, I have grown up. 
I now know far more about fashion than I ever did before. I know my Christopher Kane from my Calvin Klein and I know my Jordan Dunn from my Joan Smalls. I may not have written any in depth posts about Adrien Sahores, as I suggested I would in my first ever (still published) blog post, but I now know some of the designer's he's worked for (Prada, DSquared2, the label formerly known as Yves Saint Laurent) and, after a year and a half, it has to be said, he's still pretty cute.



*sigh*

But secondly and perhaps most importantly, I have matured. In the year and a half, since I started blogging, I have done AS levels, been to Uganda, applied to university, moved house six times, done A levels, finished school, worked in a cafe, eaten my body-weight in chocolate, gone through a month of listening to little other than Madonna, seen Lady GaGa at Twickenham and somehow ended up as a student at Edinburgh University. In a year and a half I have - pardon the cheese - lived. 

And that living got me thinking - when life is as stressful as it often is - why make life more stressful with a formatted blog? Why not write a blog without a format? A blog in which I can document whatever I want, whenever I want: music blurbs, fashion rants, pseudo-intelligent ponderings, videos of me and my friends dancing to Kate Bush - yes I do do this on occasion.
Fashion journalism and editing is still a career path I wish to take, as you'll see via the means of this blog, and Fashion, Life & All That Is In Between, if/when I return to it now and again, it's just that, in a world of seriousness, I'd like to write a blog which is a little less so. I'd like to write something in which I can be me, 100% - flaws and all.  
And so I shall - via the means of this blog, I shall present me and all my weirdness to cyberspace. I shall prance through life and take you along with me - for better or worse, till something major do us part.

xoxo


Sam Prance


#prancingthroughlife 


NB - The logo was designed by my favorite pair of identical twins: Livi and Ella Prendergast. Livi put together the font and came up with the name, whilst Ella transposed my face into gold sequins. When I rule the world everyone will have a picture of their face transposed into gold sequins.

No comments:

Post a Comment